Google Chrome 91.0.4472.164 addresses seven security vulnerabilities, including a high severity zero-day flaw exploited in the wild.
Google has released Chrome 91.0.4472.164 for Windows, Mac, and Linux that addresses seven vulnerabilities, including a high severity zero-day vulnerability, tracked as CVE-2021-30563, that has been exploited in the wild.
“Google is aware of reports that an exploit for CVE-2021-30563 exists in the wild,” reads Google’s announcement.
Type confusion issues are logical bugs that result from confusion between object types, their exploitation would lead to browser crashes due to buffer overflow, they can also potentially lead to arbitrary code execution. The flaw was discovered by Sergei Glazunov from Google Project Zero.
The IT giant did not share info about the attacks exploiting the flaw either the nature of the threat actors.
None of the issues that were fixed by Google with the new release has been rated as critical, below there is the list of flaws addressed with the release of Google Chrome 91.0.4472.164:
- [$7500] High CVE-2021-30559: Out of bounds write in ANGLE. Reported by Seong-Hwan Park (SeHwa) of SecunologyLab on 2021-06-11
- [$5000] High CVE-2021-30541: Use after free in V8. Reported by Richard Wheeldon on 2021-05-31
- [$N/A] High CVE-2021-30560: Use after free in Blink XSLT. Reported by Nick Wellnhofer on 2021-06-12
- [$TBD] High CVE-2021-30561: Type Confusion in V8. Reported by Sergei Glazunov of Google Project Zero on 2021-06-14
- [$TBD] High CVE-2021-30562: Use after free in WebSerial. Reported by Anonymous on 2021-06-15
- [$TBD] High CVE-2021-30563: Type Confusion in V8. Reported by Anonymous on 2021-07-12
- [$TBD] Medium CVE-2021-30564: Heap buffer overflow in WebXR. Reported by Ali Merchant, iQ3Connect VR Platform on 2021-06-17
This is the eighth zero-day flaw fixed by Google in the Chrome browser that was exploited by threat actors in the wild this year, the other ones are:
- CVE-2021-21148 – February 4th, 2021
- CVE-2021-21166 – March 2nd, 2021
- CVE-2021-21193 – March 12th, 2021
- CVE-2021-21220 – April 13th, 2021
- CVE-2021-21224 – April 20th, 2021
- CVE-2021-30551 – June 9th, 2021
- CVE-2021-30554 – June 17th, 2021
(SecurityAffairs – hacking, Google Chrome)
The post Google Chrome 91.0.4472.164 fixes a new zero-day exploited in the wild appeared first on Security Affairs.